Author Topic: Fixing the political system so it once more works for the people  (Read 1173 times)

Offline tarcus

• View Profile
The current system of parliament excludes the average ordinary bloke because of the way parties are able to usurp any common sense shown by MPs by use of the whip system. I believe that a campaign needs to be started to abolish the whips and make it illegal for any party to dictate against the wishes of the electorate. Fair enough candidates my be voted for under a banner of Lib/lab/con policy but as individuals chosen to represent the electorate I feel that once in Parliament all individuality is taken away from the MP and control is handed over to the elite dictatorship removing the voice of the people within Westminster. Over the last 30+ years the many have been over-run by the few whose choices have been less than desirable for the Majority in the long term and it needs to be addressed. How do you think this can be done? 

Offline Nick Clarke

• View Profile
Re: Fixing the political system so it once more works for the people
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2013, 06:51:38 PM »
There are times when a 'free vote' is taken, presumably this is when MPs can vote any way they wish, ie they vote across party lines rather than along party lines. It would not be difficult to abolish the whip system, just make all votes free votes, where members can vote according to their conscience.....Under the whip system, parties vote for policies set out ultimately by one person, ie the party leader. This is undemocratic, bordering on dictatorship..