Author Topic: Cycling series  (Read 2802 times)

Offline Robin S

• Robin S
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
Cycling series
« on: November 16, 2012, 12:35:12 AM »
There was a discussion about cycling shows recently on facebook after the first edition of BeSpoke on Radio 5Live, and the conclusion was that we should make a TV show or web series about cycling in Bristol. Here's an extract of the discussion.

Rob Bushill: i don't suppose anyone knows how to make a 1/2 hour TV program do they? I reckon that between us we could fill 30 minutes...that's about 18 minutes after titles and break for adverts :-)

Robin Stent: maybe you should make a FB group for it and brainstorm some ideas, you could make it a youtube series

Rob Bushill: i should have remembered that from my corporate days...don't suggest anything, you'll get to carry it forward...what you suggest is not a bad idea thought, shame i'm not more in town..a powerful tool though...

Robin Stent: I reckon its worth throwing some ideas around about it, you never know you might end up with a whole team of volunteers and not actually have to do anything, it wouldn't surprise me its a good idea and I think something that's really missing from the TV schedules

Rob Bushill: any BBC boffins about that might give a few pointers?? (or independants..)

Martin Tweddell: The programme does have a short section about everyday cycling called "OK Commuter" (a play on words of Radiohead's famous song). And I...er...have to confess to being a BBC boffin - though not at the heart of decision making. It would be great to have something like ITV4's Cycle Show made in Bristol - perhaps hosted by the Roll for the Soul bike cafe when they set up? Who'd like to get together to come up with a format?

Rob Wall
: Consider it hosted! I'd been thinking that, but hadn't volunteered as we've got a billion other things to do to get open over the next few months. But count us in as a location if other people can bring the content!
« Last Edit: November 16, 2012, 12:51:37 AM by Robin S »

Offline Robin S

• Robin S
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: Cycling series
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2012, 12:40:14 AM »
My friend Sy teaches film and drama at Bristol Uni and suggested that it might be a project either he or a group of his students might be able to get involved with when it comes to filming, editing that kind of thing. I'll get him to join in the discussion.

Offline Rob Bushill

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2012, 08:42:11 AM »
I think there is a huge gap in the market for both written and recorded material. With the growth in feeling of campaigns like 'go dutch' for example, thats all very well but not much is known about other cycle cultures and or equipment. I specialize in cargo bikes which can carry cargo but also carry families to school and about, huge potential for interesting stories for a huge potential audience. There are interesting machines out there, even simple sit up and beg bikes, what are the features, what are the thngs to look for, what about English brands, new and old, the new builders, Ricky feather, bristols Rob Mather..loads of tech stuff but for everyday watchers...tech stuff does not have to be technical..lots of bike tech is designed not to be intrusive, just there...thats and interesting line in itself..(Shimanos comfort range, Nvinci and Sturmey Archer as examples.) lots of rack systems to check out...perhaps the best pedals for use with heels..why not...its a brave new world out there and the established world is only just gett'n it..Bristol has lots of Bike stuff too, from recyclers to upcyclers, hardy campaigners to young racers, the cobble wobbles coming up, the hill climb too.. If any one wants to help pull it together i'm in.. There are some events coming up, some decent equipment would help, but theres plenty out there..someone to help with instil some decent production values, some decent image/titles n stuff and some sound/music...HHmm when you think about it its abit of a job...but it has to start somewhere if its to start at all.       

Offline Robin S

• Robin S
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2012, 08:55:17 AM »
The best pedals for heels, haha I like your thinking.

But you're right there are all kinds of cyclists and all kinds of bikes and equipment. If the show demonstrates something that most people wouldn't be aware of like a cargo trike, it doesn't have to get into technical details, just enough to say a bit about it and for people to go "oooh that's cool"

And yeah there's lots of stuff going on in Bristol that could be featured, also might be an idea to do a sort of "day in the life" of people who cycle for their job or do something that people wouldn't have thought of related to cycling.

It is a big project, but its good to start talking about it, hopefully people will be interested and get involved. I've posted some messages on permaculture groups and justfortheloveofit asking people to get involved in this discussion, so hopefully we'll get some interest

Personally I've got too many other projects on the go to get involved in this but I'd really like to see it happen and will promote the idea as much as I can. Wouldn't it be great if cyclists of Bristol came up with a show that was much better than what the big boys can manage?

Offline Robin S

• Robin S
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2012, 07:06:37 PM »
By the way I've set up a shortcut to this discussion which is http://fora.org.uk/cycleshow

If you start getting into lots of details and it needs its own forum just let me know.

Offline stefanchilcott

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 20, 2012, 12:31:09 PM »
Guys,
I think this is an absolute gem of an idea - the key question is how do we make it happen? I have experience in podcasting and film-making for school - we could get a lot of user-generated content and stitch it together into a format that works. We could start off with a call for user content through the Facebook pages of both Bristol cyclists and Critical Mass and then work on formatting into a 'show' - as to content ideas I think involving the independent bike retailers around the area would be useful, as Rob said I think looking at biking in the real world (being a fellow cargonista myself) is a good way to go.

Shall we start to make it happen?

Offline Syd3r

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 20, 2012, 02:03:22 PM »
Hi... I work as a freelance film-maker and lecturer in digital video production at the University of Bristol and would be interested in helping this get made in a technical sense - but I'm quite short on time at the moment. I'd probably be more up for filming stuff than editing due to general busyness and the time it takes to edit something well.

Offline Robin1966

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 21, 2012, 07:15:48 AM »
Hi guys, I am a freelance journalist with an interest in environmental issues and associated subjects which includes transport and cycling. I would really like to join in with this if able to do so. I don't have any experience at all with film work but if there's any writing to be done then I can certainly help, and the same with interviewing people as well. Presumably there would have to be some sort of script or whatever.

Cheers

Robin Whitlock
Bristol

Offline everydayalchemist

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 22, 2012, 02:29:09 PM »
Hi all!

Sorry for the delay ... was drowning in tabs (of the computer variety!) Action today though.  :)

I'm a presenter, mainly experienced in online shows for Positive TV, Green TV as well as lots of bits and bobs for other channels. I've just got funding through Bristol Green Capital Partnership to do a pilot TV show (10 mins) on all things great and green about Bristol.

I'm also a writer / author, and this month (or next, not sure when they're printing it) wrote an article that got picked up by Cycle Active on my newfound love of cycling since moving to Bristol in August! Today I had my most dangerous ride ever, when the wind on the suspension bridge blew me infront of a car. Eeek. No harm done thankfully and I stayed in the saddle!

Anyway, back to the thread, I'd love to be involved. Perhaps as a beginning we can just run a feature in the pilot about cycling in Bristol in the pilot - suggestions as to what that feature might be (the story) are very welcome. It might be a good way to get the ball rolling?

Either way if you want it to be presenter-led, I'd love to help.

Link to my youtube channel / showreel here: http://www.youtube.com/user/NatalieFeeTV (for those of you that know Mark Boyle, you'll see an interview I did with him on there .. it was through freeconomy that I saw this idea mentioned by Robin!)

Thanks,

Natalie

Offline Robin S

• Robin S
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 23, 2012, 09:27:45 AM »
Looks like you're starting to get a pretty good team together to make this happen. Nice one!

I've been thinking a bit about it and have a few suggestions, hope they are useful.

I was thinking for the basic format it would be good to do it similar to Countryfile, where its all outside, and they have two or three presenters who visit interesting places and talk to people about things, from day to day stuff to pretty unusual things. If you apply that to cycling you would get things from cycle commuting to unicycle hockey.

A couple of feature ideas I thought of
Regular "day in the life" of someone who's job involves cycling, or is directly related to cycling.
Regular leisure cycling feature with a presenter doing a nice cycle route, talking to people and about places on the way.
Regular "unusual wheels" feature covering things like tall bikes, unicycles, trikes.
Obstructive parking and stupid cycle lanes - would be good to make this sort of a comedy feature.
Regular "how-to" feature about bike maintenance, could ask someone from Bike Workshop to do this. I went on their 2 day course recently lead by Henry and he explained things really clearly.

Hope these ideas are useful.

Offline Robin S

• Robin S
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 23, 2012, 09:43:17 AM »
Oh the other thing was having a weekly feature following someone assembling a bike from parts made by independent local or UK parts makers, from the frame up.

If you can get the rights to use Rob Penn's documentary on this chopped up into 5 minute sections that would be even better. It was on BBC4 apparently so chances are no-ones even seen it.
http://www.robpenn.net/?page_id=22

According to the BBC page the doc is 1 hour so you could run it over 2x 6 part series if chopped into 5 mins.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b00t6ylx
« Last Edit: November 23, 2012, 09:51:56 AM by Robin S »